Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Wikipedia Trail: From The Wolf and the Crane to John George Bartholomew

Wikipedia: Wolf and the Crane
This week I've started my trail at one of the classic Aesop's fables, The Wolf and the Crane. The wolf promises a reward if the crane helps him from choking to death, the crane does, but then the wolf's reward is he won't eat the crane. I then selected the link to read about Cranes. Mainly just because I wanted to go an animal oriented path. Next I found it interesting that cranes inhabit all but two continents. One being South America and the other Antarctica. Therefore, my next path led to Antarctica. Reading some about Antarctica's history I learned who named it its formal name. That man being cartographer John George Bartholomew. Lastly, I clicked on him because I couldn't remember exactly what else he was famous for then I remembered he was a pioneer for map making and created the first color contour maps.

No comments:

Post a Comment