Friday, September 9, 2016

Reading Note's: Aesop's for Children (Winter) Part A

For the extra reading assignment I decided to read the Aesop's for Children however with illustrations by Milo Winter. I thought it would be neat to have an illustration to tie back to my original thoughts on some of these storytelling's. Below are my notes of the reading:

Milo Winter: Farmer and the Stork

  • I like the picture of the tortoise and the two ducks for the reason of its establishes a sense of curiosity for the viewer. Then after reading the tale you realize that curiosity was the demise of the tortoise.
  • The dog, the cock, and the fox is a great classic story where the fox ultimately gets a taste of his own deception. Many of the Aesop's fables are hard to predict the ending. Some times the ending's will be harsh and blunt. Other times the fox will come out the loser in the situation. It is interesting the style and how the build up of the story changes with each type of outcome.
  • The ass and his driver was a very comical picture to me which related perfectly well to how the story ends with the donkey go over the cliff and not listening to reason. Though in a modern sense, the voice of reason is often the hardest to listen to.
  • The farmer and the stork was perhaps my favorite story. Immediately from the illustration I could see it was a story about judgement. And indeed it was and the moral was about the judgement of the company who surrounds you. It reminded me of a interesting saying: "We judge others by their actions, however we judge ourselves by our intentions."
Bibliography: The Aesop for Children, with illustrations by Milo Winter (1919).

No comments:

Post a Comment