Monday, September 19, 2016

Reading Notes: The Voyages of Sinbad Part A

I selected to read The Voyages of Sinbad from the source:The Arabian Nights' Entertainments by Andrew Lang and illustrated by H. J. Ford (1898). For one I was interested to this because of reading the Odyssey, but also I read another passage from this source last week that was very interesting. Below are my reading notes:

  • Sinbad seems to be a relatable guy. I mean if I had a fortune at this age I'd probably struggle to not blow it. He seems very entrepreneurial to take on the idea of boarding a vessel.
  • Similar to the Odyssey I can sense that the tide will turn on the luck of the crew. 
  • I am a fan of the great detail in which the the enormous animals are described. This is very similar to the Odyssey and how Homer takes great care in character description.
  • Unlike Odysseus, I get the impression that Sinbad does not use his wits to get out of his hard circumstances. Rather it seems to be happen stance or a bit of luck that he escapes his hardships. I would like to incorporate this happy go lucky character into my next story though.
  • This is another case of where I wish the story would've ended a few chapters earlier. The story turns very grim with Sinbad as a character. He does turn robin hood "esque" but I'm not a fan of how this one turns out so far. Hopefully part b will be more positive.
Second Voyage: (Roc, by E. J. Detmold)

No comments:

Post a Comment