Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Story: Sinbad's Journey

Sinbad began life as a poor merchant along the coast. Every day he watched as the great wooden vessels came in and out of port. He dreamt that one day he would be fortunate enough to buy his own vessel so that he could sail the seas and trade goods to foreign countries. One day, as he was watching from his cart of fruit along the coast, he saw a giant bird’s egg on the shore. Sinbad, being the curious fellow he was, went to investigate. As he looked upon it, it glimmered in the sunshine like a great pearl. Then Sinbad thought of an idea. He knew that this was no ordinary egg and began to fantasize of the great fortune it might bring him. So Sinbad dumped out his cart of fruit and secured the egg in it. As he was dragging it off the shore, he saw a great shadow in the sand with wings spread very wide. He immediately knew that this had to be the mother bird and began running faster with his cart to his home. Before the bird could cause any harm to Sinbad he made it inside safely with the egg. He waited a few hours before leaving his home and decided to attempt to sell the egg while the bird was away. Upon seeing one of the wealthy vessel owners in the market, Sinbad struck a deal to trade the magnificent egg for his ship and crew.

The next morning Sinbad set sail with his crew on the open seas. Sinbad stood upon the bow of the ship soaking in the fresh air and great view of the open ocean. As he stood there he thought to himself of the great change in circumstances he had gone through in just 24 hours.

Sinbad and his crew sailed for six days and six nights without seeing another ship or land. They were seemingly lost, for they intended to set sail for the west Indies. Then a member of his crew in the crow’s nest lookout saw an island in the distance. As they approached the island it looked barren and uninviting. Sinbad and his crew landed on shore the island and began to cautiously explore. One member of the crew spotted a giant bird’s egg on the beach. Sinbad, in disbelief, saw the egg and immediately began to think of the riches it could bring him again. He ordered his crew to load the egg on ship. Once his crew had gotten the egg aboard the vessel, Sinbad began to set sails back to the port.

Suddenly, there was a piercing screeching noise coming from the island. A shadow soon came over the boat that was three times the shadow of the previous bird that Sinbad had narrowly escaped. The angry bird was carrying a giant boulder with its talons. It let it loose above the vessel and exploded Sinbad’s ship into thousands of splinters. Sinbad luckily grasped onto a piece of the wreckage and floated at sea for two days. On the third day a ship heading to Sinbad’s home port picked him up and took him home.

The next morning Sinbad was back to selling fruit out of his cart and thinking about what could have been.

The Voyage: (Roc, by E. J. Detmold)

Author’s Note: The story was inspired from the Voyages of Sinbad. There are a few elements I wanted to change from the source story and there are some elements that I wanted to keep. For one I wanted to give a reason for Sinbad’s misfortune at the end of the story. It seemed as if in the source story he was lucky or unlucky sometimes, but for no reasonable explanation. In the source story, the bird is originally angry with Sinbad and his crew for eating the roc egg, before crushing his vessel. I wanted to add the spin of theft of the second roc egg instead of his crew eating it to explain why the roc was angry with Sinbad and his crew. In addition, I wanted to add the theme of rags to riches and back to rags. I feel that the story really stresses the impact of greed versus the original story is more of ambition and luck themed. Taking the second egg off the island proved to be too greedy. Sinbad is still his lucky self and ends up surviving this voyage and returning home though. In addition, I included the giant bird which wrecks Sinbad’s vessel, but I felt that my source for the bird’s anger and dash of karma gave the story some new perspective. Lastly, at the end of the story I think Sinbad asks himself if he would do it any different if given another chance. In my opinion, he probably regrets taking the second egg. Thanks for reading and I look forward to your comments!

Bibliography: The Arabian Nights' Entertainments by Andrew Lang and illustrated by H. J. Ford (1898).

8 comments:

  1. This was a great story, Tyler! I like how you adapted it enough to give it a new meaning but not so much that the story is unrecognizable. I haven't read the original, but from your author's note it sounds like the message you've created is much better and more relatable. I'm glad that Sinbad regrets taking the second egg. He should! Thanks for sharing this fun story. I'm looking forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tyler,

    This re-telling of the Voyages of Sinbad was great! While I did not read the original story, I loved how you had a moral to the story at the end. It's always nice when there is something to learn from a story. On top of that, the story was just entertaining. The way Sinbad was getting away with stealing the egg the first time around but then karma came to kick him in the butt made me laugh. The flow and pace of the story was great and made total sense which is difficult to maintain sometimes in these retelling of stories. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite part about your story is the moral ending. If only he hadn't gotten greedy he could still be sailing the world. It just goes to show that power ruins the greatest of men. I liked your writing style. The story had a nice flow to it. The way you described him making his way back home allowed me as the reader to determine the story was coming to a conclusion. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tyler,

    I am glad to see that someone else also decided to try their hand at writing a Sindbad inspired story like I did. I agree that Sindbad often seemed unreasonably lucky, almost as if the malicious people in his story were all completely incompetent. I like that you added a reason for everything to happen. I also thought that changing the ending to make Sindbad poor again contributed a lot to his character development, it added a lot of depth to Sindbad's arc in my eyes. Sindbad really does some terrible things like murder innocent people for food, so I can totally see him getting greedy while stealing an innocent creatures eggs and causing his ultimate downfall by himself.

    Thanks so much for sharing, I really enjoyed. I hope you find the time to add more of your work to your portfolio during the rest of the semester.

    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great story! I like how you created a backstory for how Sinbad became a sailor and how he got his ship! I really enjoyed the greed aspect you added to the story. When I read the story of Sinbad I was always amazed that he was able to come out of a bad situation on top. Your story was a nice change to this theme! The idea that Sinbad got greedy by going after the second egg and then lost everything was really interesting and made Sinbad more identifiable as a character! The only thing that I think you could add to this story was some dialogue from Sinbad! How does he feel about having everything and then nothing? How does he interact with the crew? These questions if answered can help the reader learn more about who Sinbad was as a person. Great story and I can’t wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think your retelling of Sinbad is very well done. You made him much more relatable by giving more of an explanation for the misfortune. I also thought the incorporation of them trying to steal the egg instead of eating it was a good change for the story. Sinbad's constant journey for treasure and fortune is more understandable this way. I would have liked to hear a little more about their adventure together on the ship. Perhaps the crew began fight amongst themselves after seeing each other and no adventure for so many days? Just a little more flesh to that portion of the story. Although I realize this can be hard with the word count. I also an curious is Sinbad alone? Does he leave any family behind when he decided to go one a journey for adventure? One last thing, I would have really some description of the giant bird; but again you only have so many words. You did a really great job with story. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your version of the story better, Tyler.

    I read the voyages of Sinbad in another class and while I really liked the original story, I felt like there was something missing, like some divine cosmic energy, in this its case karma. I like how you kept parallels in your versions too: two eggs, two thefts. Sinbad should have known better, having barely escaping the first bird because he lived so close, it only makes sense that the second theft would result in misfortune since he had to travel 6 days and nights to return home. I think the reflection that Sinbad has at the end of this story is very important too. Since he is going to go on more adventures, it is important that he learns from his previous mistakes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tyler,

    I too have read this work and think you did an excellent job capturing the theme of the original work.

    Wow~
    Not to sound negative, but I wasn't too wow'd, but that's based on the fact that I've read the story before. I did like your adaptation to the original work though.

    I wonder~
    I wonder what would have happened if the egg wouldn't have hatched? Like, what if he ended up trading it for riches. But then again, that wouldn't be a typical Sinbad scenario, would it?

    What if~
    What if you would have elaborated a little bit more on the actual wreckage of the ship and created a dialogue of Sinbad and the crew. I think this would have created a really strong connection between the reader and Sinbad.

    ReplyDelete