Monday, October 10, 2016

Reading Notes: Myths and Legends of the Sioux Part B

This week I decided to read Myths and Legends of the Sioux by Marie McLaughlin (1916). I chose this unit, because I feel like I've often heard of the Sioux tribe in history and I would like to learn about some of their tales and storytelling styles. Below are my notes for part B:

  • These stories of Unktomi are somewhat grim and I see the potential to do a "negative" copy of the story, or a positive ending.
  • It is interesting how the tricks and tales across cultures can align even when there is no communication between groups. Again these stories of the Sioux seem to be fairly grim in nature.
  • I find it interesting how animals and insects of the native american culture can do humanly like tasks or activities such as making arrowheads.
  • It is neat that there is an equal opportunity for creatures of each realm to "win" in an encounter. Such as Iktomi and the wolves.
  • I am a fan of the morals that are also taught of selfishness and self reliance.
  • Trickery is a very frequent topic of storytelling and makes for an entertaining read and potentially an entertaining write.
(arrowhead, by D. Birgenheier)

No comments:

Post a Comment