Sunday, October 2, 2016

Reading Notes: Folk Stories from Southern Nigeria

For this extra credit reading assignment, I decided to read the Folk Stories From Southern Nigeria by Elphinstone Dayrell (1910). I chose this reading assignment because I wanted to stick with african themed tales. Below are my reading notes over part A:

  • I like how the stories are very explanatory of how certain things on Earth came to be.
  • I am a fan of how non-living beings are personified throughout these tales to explain why things are the way they are. I think it would be neat to include a story or compilation of stories that explains why things are the way they are.
  • I find it interesting how almost every story in some shape or form relates back to the king. It makes you wonder what kind of person in royalty influenced the telling of these ancient stories.
  • The explanation of why fish live in water is a humorous story to me. I guess because I'm very left brain oriented so I am looking for that scientific explanation and this is more of "just because the king said so."
(leopard)

No comments:

Post a Comment