Sunday, October 9, 2016

Reading Notes: Myths and Legends of the Sioux Part A

This week I decided to read Myths and Legends of the Sioux by Marie McLaughlin (1916). I chose this unit, because I feel like I've often heard of the Sioux tribe in history and I would like to learn about some of their tales and storytelling styles. Below are my notes for part A:

  • I like that there is a sense of humor in the stories. In addition, I like that the stories are told by animals and they interact with each other. It is interesting that the story teller also used terms like grandmother and grandson when the rabbits talked to each other. 
  • I am a fan of how these stories are witty and usually revolve around someone being fooled by a trickster or gamble.
  • The reason for why there are so few bears is an interesting tale. This again is similar to other culture's tales in the sense there is a myth which explains something in the present today.
  • In addition, I am a fan of the native tongue which the animals sometimes spout off in the stories.
  • I found it neat that there was an individualized telling from the Sioux that was similarly themed to Dances with Wolves.
  • It's interesting as I have read through these stories over completely different cultures how there is a very similar lesson or theme in them.
(turtles)

No comments:

Post a Comment