Monday, October 3, 2016

Reading Notes: Laos Folklore Part B

This week I decided to read an Asian themed folktale. I chose to read Laos Folk-Lore by Katherine Neville Fleeson, with photographs by W.A. Briggs (1899). Below are my reading notes for part B:

  • I like the repetitive build up to the punch line as shown in The Wizard and the Begger. This reminds me of Aesop's Fables and I like the suspense it gives to the story.
  • I also like the no boundaries between which species can communicate to each other. As the dog and the buffalo both talk to humans.
  • The story of why rice is small is a great moral telling of being greedy and also teaches patience. As I also mentioned in part A, I would like to tell a story similar to this but end it with a moral relating it back to everyday life.
  • I like the story which shows to be open to change and grow your knowledge outside your boundaries as shown in The boy in the city streets.
  • I found it pretty meaningful when there was the quote about lazy poor people vs lazy rich people and the public perception of each. I think that is an interesting double standard.
  • As in all of these stories, I think the tales all get at trying to teach a main principle or value one should instill in themselves. I will attempt to tell a story which captures this them for this week.
(fig tree)

No comments:

Post a Comment