Friday, October 7, 2016

Reading Notes: The Celtic Fairy Tales (2) Part A

For the week 8 extra credit reading, I decided to read The Celtic Fairy Tales (2) unit by Joseph Jacobs with illustrations by John D. Batten (1895). I chose this because I haven't read a British unit yet and I am curious to see how their tales are different. Below are my reading notes:

  • There is an interesting sense of jealousy that I have not seen in other tales from other cultures. In addition, I like the use of the poem where Oifa has a few lines of uninterrupted dialogue.
  • I am not a huge fan of how long this story is. It seems to drag on for over 1500 words which breaks the short and sweet rule. In addition, I am more of a fan of a to the point storytelling.
  • I like the use of frequent dialogue however these frequent epic poems are becoming excessive in my opinion.
  • One thing I have noticed is there is very little animal-human interaction. Since I am a fan of the Aesop's fables, this is somewhat disappointing.
  • Frequently there is an introduction of a wizard which provides a unique range of possibilities for a storytelling that I might include. I have not seen this exact usage of a character in any other stories. 
(Castle of the Munster Kings, Ireland)

No comments:

Post a Comment