Monday, October 3, 2016

Reading Notes: Laos Folklore Part A

This week I decided to read an Asian themed folktale. I chose to read Laos Folk-Lore by Katherine Neville Fleeson, with photographs by W.A. Briggs (1899). Below are my reading notes for part A:

  • It is interesting that this child one day felt the need to go into the woods, because of his hate to humans. In addition, it is a neat ending of how his time in the woods paid off when he went back to the village and the beasts did not bother the cattle anymore. I would like to include this risk reward theme in my story this week.
  • The faith to believe in without using human senses is an interesting tale as well to inspire children or people to believe in myths or legends.
  • It is interesting how they describe that even the powerful spirits kept away white foreign explorers.
  • The explanation for why the elephants lip droops down is kind of humorous. I feel as if it describes a potential interaction that can happen in everyday life, but is retold to fear people to not do a certain thing or they will end up like the elephant. I would like to relate a common story like this, but incorporate it to explain why possibly there are four seasons instead of one.
  • The man and the moon reminds me of a story of not wishing for to much. Along with the faithful spouse stories seem to instill good principles of how people should live.
(Indian elephant)

No comments:

Post a Comment