Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Week 1 Story: Woods of Tennessee


Ron Praite  Source: Wikimedia Commons

After a long day out in the woods making moonshine, Mark and Jim Tom head back to their secret holiday home cabin. Come to find out the two men had consumed too much of their moonshine and couldn’t find their safe trail back to the cabin. It is a dangerous thing to get lost in the woods of Tennessee, especially away from the main trail. Urban legends say anything is possible to be seen in the woods of Tennessee when off the beaten path. The only thing Mark and Jim Tom know is that they must head East to get back to the cabin. With only some matches, a compass, and some fresh made Tennessee apple moonshine they head on their way back to the cabin. Along the way they hear rummaging from the tall pine trees up ahead. Jim Tom whispers to Mark “Ya hear that noise over yonder”. Mark says “Yeah, sounds like two guys arguin’ over somethin” As the two men creep closer to the pine trees they see the two men in a standoff through the clearing of the pine trees. One of the men looks to be a Japanese soldier unaware that WWII has ended over 50 years ago, the other is a lumberjack type fellow. The men are just about to start a shootout when Jim Tom lets out his Tennessee famous bigfoot cry. Both the Japanese man and the lumberjack look around in fear and then at each other. Before you could blink an eye both of the man ran in opposite directions of the woods of Tennessee and were never seen again. Jim Tom and Mark let out some good laughs and began on their way again back to the cabin. They can see the cabin in the distance however a barrier lies in between. Nettles surround the only entrance to the cabin. Jim Tom and Mark have a plan though, there is still one jar of highly flammable moonshine in their backpack. Jim Tom pours the last of the sweet Tennessee apple moonshine around the nettles and Mark takes his book of matches and sets them a blaze. Finally, the men find a clear path to the door of the cabin. Once inside the cabin, Jim Tom says “Mark, we got one problem.. We’re out of moonshine to drink now”

Author's Note
Inspired by Tom Gauld's map starting from the west side of the map and moving east towards the "Holiday Home".

Bibliography
Map of the Area Surrounding our Holiday Homea cartoon by Tom Gauld from his book ROBOTS, MONSTERS Etc., 2006

4 comments:

  1. Tyler,

    I see you're writing hasn't changed much, not that that's a bad thing. I like how you always choose country or rustic settings for your stories, it's a refreshing change of pace since so many people in this class choose urban settings. Thanks for sharing, I'm looking forward to reading more of your writing throughout the rest of the semester.

    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tyler, I have to say, unlike Andrew I do not know your writing yet but I have to say it is a pretty creative thing you did here. I can see that you have some kind of affection for the Tennessee apple moonshine. Although I have never tried it, you can be sure that I will and very soon, I just hope I will not end up lost in the woods. It was a good read, I am definitely looking forward to your future stories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your story is creative and the picture is perfect for describing the setting of the story. Especially in these short stories, it is hard to picture a setting and really put yourself into the story. In my opinion, it helps the reader most when there is a picture of something that can describe the setting of the story or a character from the story. You did a good job of telling it and the end is clever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Tyler, I liked this story. I thought it was cool that you were able to build a great story from just a few locations on a map. Have you every had moonshine before? I really dig the ironic ending, now Mark and Jim Tom need to make more moonshine, I got a Harold and Kumar vibe from it. I had some Georgia moonshine this summer and that stuff knocked me off my feet. I didn't even have that much. I look forward to getting to read your other stories this semester.

    ReplyDelete